Tuesday, 13 September 2016

My Favourite CTM characters


As most of you probably know by now - and are completely sick to hear of it (I mean, some of my poor friends can never stop hearing me talk of it) - I love Call the Midwife. I am watching  it with my Mama and my sister and we enjoy it muchly Indeed. I started to watch it back in April, and now we've just started Season Five. It was better back when Jenny graced us with her presence (stupid actress decided to leave), but it's still really really good. Babies are still born in dramatic ways and Actresses still deliver their lines with punch and wit and emotion and grit.

Anyway, here are my favourite Call The Midwife characters. IN NO ORDER IN PARTICULAR. As usual. :-)


1. Sister Evangelina

Okay, she's grumpy and hot-tempered, but I LOVE Sister Evangelina. I don't know why, but there's something so adorable and lovable about her; under that angry, mouthy countenance. I LOVE practically every single thing she utters; she basically provides 90% of the comical relief in the show. She is strong, practical, to-the-point, and doesn't do sentimental mush and pretend-make-belief. Sister Evangelina says what she thinks (perhaps a lil' too much?); does what she says; thinks what she does; does what she thinks; and there is absolutely NO nonsense about her. (AND SHE MAKES ME LAUGH. SHE IS SO FUNNY.)

Sister Evangelina is a very skilled midwife and nurse; and has a long, amazing history of delivering babies, driving War ambulances and I know not what. She hardly ever boasts about it, and she has an extremely gentle and humble side about her - you see that pop up whenever she's in a delivery room, and I love that. I love how kind she is to all her patients.  Of course, whenever she breaks down, it makes for the most emotional scenes - I cannot bear to see her upset. (In that episode where she accidentally swaps two babies - ugh, I feel so bad for her.) 


There are endless funny scenes with Sister Evangelina. Close to the top of the list is the scene where she buts into Chummy and Peter awkwardly complimenting each other and says what we were all thinking. CLICK HERE to know what I'm talking about. It's one of the all-time best CTM scenes. And there was the time when she scared poor Fred (I love how they're such good chums) out of his wits by racing all around Poplar on the motorbike. And when she told the lady who wanted 'the small one' that she'd have to do with 'the big one.' And so on.


2. Barbara Gilbert

She is a DEAR. I loved her from scene one, where she makes her adorable, awkward entrance into the world of Poplar.

Barbara is not a second Jenny - she is a completely different, unique character; and she quickly became one of my favourites! First, I loved her because I related to her so. much. Always dropping things? Always getting into awkward situations? Hashtag  I relate. Also, she loves eating and is not ashamed of it; she always does her utmost best (and yet gets unlucky) and she's super kind and sweet. There's something very cute and innocent about Barbara - something we need more of in characters, I think. Barbara is no glamour-lady like Trixie; but neither is she a quiet introvert like Cynthia. She's quite outgoing; but then also not.

(AND HER AND you-know-who-but-I-won't-spoil-who. AGHHHH THE CUTENESS. By far the best thing about Season Five. :-)) (I also love her patterned cardigan.) (And her hair.)

Tom is one of my favourites too, by the way, but he annoys me sooooometimes, so I won't make that big of a fuss about him. Although ehhhh, he IS amazing and I LOVE him. So mark that. And I love it that he makes 'something hot and wet' for the beggars every evening. HOT AND WET. :-) (That's his way of describing soup, haha.)


3. CHUMMY.

aka Camilla Fortescue-Chomely-Browne. Aka Nurse Noakes. Aka just Chummy. I say. Tickety-Boo. And all that. Old egg.

Okay, so the way she talks makes my bones happy. It is hilarious and adorable and Wooster-from-Jeeves-and-Wooster-level genius. The way she takes little breaths in random places and calls people things like 'egg' and 'old chap' and 'young sir' and 'old sport' is just a treat to the ears. Everyone loves Chummy - everyone wants to hang out with her and go biking with her and eat chips and teach her flirting techniques. (Okay... scrap the last thing. That kind of stuff is reserved for people like our dear Trixie.)


As the show goes on, some of the Chummy bits get kind of boring - especially if old Mater is involved in any sort of way - but our dear spectacles-wearing, sewing-genius, tall-stature-mind-your-head Chummy full-on deserves to be on this list.

Also, she and the Constable Noakes are so so so soooo cute together. Constable Noakes - Peter - (did you know that in the books/ real life he was called David? Why on earth did David get changed to Peter? Either the scriptwriter got the Bible stories mixed up or either she was in an unnecessarily creative mood. Either way, weird.) - Peter is one of my favourite characters too, by the by. He's such a good sort - or, as Chummy would put it, an absolute brick; absolutely tickety-boo.

*cue them dancing in their nightgowns*


4. Trixie Franklin

My thoughts on Trixie come in ups and downs - sometimes she annoys me, other times (mainly in the later seasons) she bores me, other times I LOVE HER TO BITS. And therefore she deserves a solid mention.

Firstly, yes, Trixie is an absolute flirt - sometimes all she seems to care about it boy-talk, Babycham and haircurlers. Oh and did I mention cigarettes? But she has a ginormous heart and she brings so many levels of wit, beauty, sass and spark to the show - she is strong and wilful and also very vulnerable. When Trixie cries, WE ALL CRY. When Trixie has an eye-sparkle, we all know the situation can't be that very bad. I love how cheerful and optimistic she is.

In the later series, Trixie gets a lot of Issues and Problems - which casts a more mature and grave shadow over her as a human being. I like the 'new' Trixie too (although her Keep Fit class bores me, ha) but the old care-free and hilariously young Trixie is my favourite. Also, her hair in the first two seasons is way cuter than her short almost-white pixie cut. I'm glad she grew it out quickly.


5. Cynthia Miller

Cynthia is a DARLING. She is 100% kindness, gentleness and humility. Out of all the midwives, she's definitely the last who'll do anything intentionally wrong. (She is just like her hairstyle - neat and good and obedient. :-P) (Hairstyles personified. There.)

SPOILER TIME : Sooo, Cynthia Miller becomes a nun. Actually the episodes where she makes that decision are very emotional ones, and I love them a lot. Also, it's absolutely beautiful that she loves God so much and that her faith is such a big part of her - of course it is! Buuuut, I prefer the old Cynthia. I prefer it when there was a possibility of her finding a cute and kind gentleman, and I prefer it when she was part of the 'midwife gang', giggling and laughing in their nighties in the bedroom. But I love Cynthia anytime, of course.  SPOILER OVER.


Honourable Mentions:

Tom (the vicar), because just / Fred, because he's funny and plain adorable as Santa Clause / Jenny Lee because DUH guys she's the leading lady / Sister Julienne because of her strong faith and everlasting wisdom / Sister Bernadette because she's 100% kind / Shelagh (I KNOW it's the same PERSON, but LET me) / Timothy Turner (just, the Turners, aww) / Peter Noakes because of his cute smile and his huge heart.


Who are your favourite CTM characters?

16 comments:

  1. I HAVE TO PICK FAVORITES?! Let's just say I love them all. I mean, seriously. I was never toooo crazy about Jimmy (and was justified). I actually do like Patsy, even though she's got some major issues. I can't stand her friend Delia (Dilly) or whomever. Ick. But all of the midwives, nuns, and closely surrounding characters are near and dear to my heart. I could watch this show until the world burns. I had a crisis when I was trying to decided if I should watch the next season after Jenny left (with my mom and sister *wink wink*). We almost regretted continuing there for a while because that whole season following was dreary! Everyone had such soul-consuming issues. But this most recent season (sorry, don't know the numbers) was splendid. More like it used to be. I love everything you learn from the show, even if you don't always agree. I have to say some of my favorite episodes are more controversial. Like the one where the young girl gets pregnant and has diabetes or something so having the baby is virtually guaranteed to kill her and her boyfriend's going to jail. Her fight to keep the baby anyway was just so tearjerking! :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there are soooo many great characters. Narrowing it down to five was H A R D. I like Patsy too - some things about her - but I don't like most of her scenes because... yeah. Same with Delia - I'd like her better if it weren't for the Plot.
      OHHH That episode where the girl has diabetes! I mean, all the episodes are tearjerking, right? I can't wait for the next season! I believe it's coming out next year?

      Delete
  2. I love them all!!!!! I can't choose! I watched the whole series and I love it!!! Lovely post Naomi!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've seen it all?!! Great! Thank you, Rachel. :-)

      Delete
  3. YOU ARE MAKING ME JEALOUS ABOUT SEASON FIVE. I do sooo want to see the relationship between Barbara and... someone. They are my cutie pops and I want to see them togevver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S GOOD SO FAR. :-) I knowww, Barabara and Tom are SO ADORABLE TOGETHER. I ship them so hard. :-)

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this show (tragedy!!!) but it sounds really good. And Chummy's full name is awesome and hilarious. I wonder, (and this is probably quite an odd thought) would her and Bertie Wooster get along, or not?
    Hope you're having a good one!
    -A Friendly Ghost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, you should see it. :-D Chummy has an awesome name, I know - I personally think she and Bertie Wooster would get along corkingly. :-) That would make for an amazing scene, oh my word. :-P

      Delete
    2. You should write that scene. :P
      -A Friendly Ghost

      Delete
  5. Barbara Gilbert sounds like a darling character. And she looks so sweet. I think I would like her a lot, too. :)

    Thanks for this post, Naomi! It was a most enjoyable read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would too. :-)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I've never seen this show, but I've heard a lot about it--from you and other people ;-)--and if I ever did watch it, I THINK my favorite character would probably be Sister Bernadette/Shelagh. I have a "kind of feeling" I'd like her a lot :-) (Olivia loves her, I know, and Olivia and me often end up loving the same characters, so . . .)

    I LOVE Barbara's hair. It's just too pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love Shelagh - I KNOW you would. And Cynthia, too.
      (I know right?! I want her hair!)

      Delete
  7. I restarted CTM for like the 5/6th time the other day. I just started med school, so I have been enjoying my med shows XD. I love CTM. Trixie is my favorite character- any episode she's in I love. This go round of watching it, I have fallen more in love with Cynthia- and I'm actually glad she becomes a nun- I think it suits her. I hope that I can be as kind and compassionate as she is when I am treating people. I really like Sheila/Mrs. Turner/ Sister Bernadette- mainly when she is a nun. She kinda annoys me when she' not anymore. I love all the nuns- I love everyone! Each character has something special about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Great to meet another CTM-fzn and Trixie lover!
      Me too - Cynthia is such a good role-model. Shelagh gets kinda boring once she's married, but she's still sweet.
      There are so many wonderful characters, I know. :-)

      Delete
  8. So we've been rewatching. I ADORE Dr Turner!!! XD. He's just so lovely and so kind and really the kind of man I wish to marry one day ✨ little Angela though!!!
    Evie on her iPod sitting upstairs as she flicks thorough her Downton abbey behind the scenes book.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.