Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Here's something crazy.


I once heard that if the galaxy were the size of the USA, you and me and this whole huge world we live in would fit in a small coffee cup. That baffled me. I heard that there was this star that it was so big that if the world were the size of a soccer ball, that star would be the size of the Mount Everest, that mountain so tall that people die climbing it. And that's just one star out of uncountably many. That mindboggled me. 

I feel like I'm not precise enough. Let me guide you to this post on this subject. You don't have to read all of it; just scroll down the post and look at the pictures. Then just think about the tiny specks we are. (Seriously, go and do it. It won't take long. Then come back.)

Wow. I am tiny.

And what mindboggles me more is that GOD CAME TO THIS TINY EARTH. In this huge beautiful dazzling galaxy which we can only sort of partly see through expensive microscopes and which we can only sort of admire on a clear starry evening, He came to the earth. That tiny soccer ball. That tiny ball that fits in a metaphorical coffee cup. That tiny ball that, if it were a mere inch closer to the sun, it would mean we would all die of the heat, and if it were a mere inch further away from the sun, it would mean we would all die of the freezingness. That tiny ball He put in the exact right place. That tiny ball He put me in.

Man, I am tiny.

Seesh, God is huge. Mindbogglingly insanely huge. And He came to this tiny world and walked on it in a tiny, human stature. As God. As Man. For us, tiny wretched beings, that huge and awesome God, did that. I mean... what even. Thank you Jesus.

23 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't heard of those before.

    That IS crazy! I had never seriously thought about it in that way before...
    ... and amen. Thank you, Jesus. <3

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy? It's worth thinking about... :-)

      Delete
  2. I WAS LITERALLY JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS. I'm taking an Astronomy class, and we had to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0 (You should watch that. It's CRAZY.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW. That video is so so cool. The zooming in bit is dazzlingly amazing too. Such detail and such hugeness. :-O

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating Naomi - thank you! I was thinking similar thoughts recently about how tiny we are in the sight of God, only never contemplated on the real scientific facts as you have here. WOW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah! Thanks for commenting. :-)
      I never really thought about it scientifically too, till several days ago; when I was talking about it with someone. It's super fascinating. Mind continually blown! :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow!! When you put it all like that, it's even more mind boggling then ever. And absolutely amazing that He did that for us.

    Thanks for this post Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; it is absolutely amazing. He loves you, girl. <3

      Delete
  5. Amazing how that puts things into perspective. My favorite part is when you pointed out that GOD CAME TO THIS TINY PLANET! :O It's amazing how many things there are like this that continually blow my mind (Another one of them being the fact that we will be perfectly happy in Heaven for ever. and ever. and ever. NO END! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHHHT. Yep, the forever-and-ever-and-ever thing dazzles me too. :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow. Mind? KABOOOM!!!!
    What. Even.
    You know, God just might be a little bit awesome. (HINT: THAT WAS SARCASM. I figure you can tell, Naomi, because you use sarcasm quite a bit yourself (that one sarcastic post from a while ago was hilarious) but I just thought I'd make sure everyone who reads this knows.)
    Yeah not sure what else to say... Maybe because my mind exploded a sec ago. Man, I liked that brain!. *watches a sunset*
    Never mind, it blew up again.
    GOD IS SO DANG AWESOME, THANK YOU THANK YOU GOD!!!!
    ~E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, this comment is awesome.
      Sorry about the loss of your brain, dear. ;-D

      Delete
    2. Thanks. So is the One who made me.
      Oh well, I was short a few marbles anyway ;)

      Delete
  7. This is truly mind-boggling. Wow. Just wow. Those pictures you linked to were so cool to look at. The way the large objects in the first pictures turn out to be the tiny objects in that last pictures...CRAZY!!

    There's no doubt about it, our God is an awesome and marvelous Creator!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s right. What could I say? God is good always and his love is forever and ever for all of us. I can’t imagine how he love me and thanks him for came here. In fact, we are very tiny and there are too many things we can’t understand but all of them are true. I’m so happy and my life changed when I see the love of the God.
    May the God be with you. All of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Jesus loves you, Miss Josephine, and He wants to live right in you. :-)

      Delete
  9. I KNOW. I think about this and have to force myself not too because--Yes! It just...IS. I don't know what to say to it. I can't comprehend it, so I force myself to stop thinking about it.
    True as truth, Naomi. God is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but you have to think about it! Think about it all the time, Rae... it's amazing. :-) God IS wonderful indeed.

      Delete
  10. I've seen the video where Louie Giglio talks about how tiny the earth is compared to the sun and stars and woooooow it's STILL mind boggling amazing.

    "And He came to this tiny world and walked on it in a tiny, human stature. As God. As Man. For us, tiny wretched beings, that huge and awesome God, did that."
    AMEN. Thank you Jesus, indeed. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right... just WOW. I can't get my head around it.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing this. It's... beautiful, actually. Quite thought-provoking.
    Puts me in mind of these verses in Psalm 113-- "Who is like unto the Lord our God, who dwelleth on high, who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth!" -- It really makes you stop to consider when you realize that it's humbling for Him to even *look* at the things in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful verse! Great food for thought.

      Delete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.